A Word From Steve Jones
July 16th, 2018
Dear pastors, missionaries, chaplains and friends,
Steve here… The greatest asset we have in ministry is people; nothing comes even as close as a near second.
One of our Fellowship International missionaries sent an article to me by Scott Cochrane. He shared the TOP 15 proven ways to suck the life out of your staff. Often because they are either unaware or just engaging in bad leadership behaviour, church leaders can seem to go out of their way to discourage and dampen their staff’s motivation. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but check off the ones you may be guilty of:
1. When someone complains about a staff member, always assume the complainer has a legitimate beef. Take the complainer’s side when you meet with your staff person.
2. Never drop by a staff member’s office (except when you want something).
3. Never attend their ministry gatherings.
4. Make them jump through hoops before approving their request to attend a conference.
5. Don’t show up at staff parties and functions. (If you must, show up late and stay for just a few minutes).
6. Withhold information.
7. Don’t involve them in leadership conversations, unless it’s specifically about their department.
8. Constantly compare them to their counterpart running “that great ministry in the church down the street”.
9. Don’t answer their emails or voicemails. If you must respond, take a very long time to do so.
10. Impose significant change on them without seeking their input.
11. Set high expectations for results without the necessary resources.
12. Never give them a shout-out in “big church”.
13. Avoid showing interest in their lives outside the office.
14. Make a big deal about small mistakes.
15. Make a small deal about their big ministry wins. (Source: Scott Cochrane)
The fact is that no team has ever coasted toward being a passionate, driven team; creating that type of team takes time, purposeful effort, and determination. Are you a leader diligent enough to build that kind of team among your staff and volunteers? I believe the Lord will honour your efforts to build up and edify your greatest resource… your people!
Have a blessed week,