A Word From Steve Jones
January 15th, 2018
Dear pastors, missionaries, chaplains and friends,
Steve Jones here… Christmas is one month away! A busy time for sure. Also a great time to share Christ with family, friends and strangers. Let’s not get too busy that we miss opportunities to introduce the Christ of Christmas.
I recently noted an excellent top ten list in SEMBEQ’s magazine (The Fellowship French seminary in Montreal, QC.) The list comes from Doug Pollock’s book, “God Space.” I believe these probing questions are helpful to do some self-evaluation. Are we in relationship with spiritually lost people? What will it take for us to get uncomfortable and reach out?
Are we generally involved in a monologue, or dialogue when it comes to relating to non-Christians?
Please read each question and quietly evaluate:
1. In your efforts to connect with others, can you overlook attitudes and lifestyles that don’t reflect biblical values?
2. Are you willing to suspend your judgement for as long as God asks you to do so?
3. Do you consistently seek to understand the not-yet-Christians you know before seeking to be understood by them?
4. Do you patiently wait for the not-yet-Christians in your life to ask for your life to ask for your opinion before you give it?
5. Be honest: Do you like people who are far from God?
6. Do people who are far from God like you? For example, are you invited to “party” parties?
7. Does your body language communicate a warm, open-hearted acceptance of the not-yet-Christians in your life?
8. Are you comfortable communicating acceptance to others without endorsing all their life decisions?
9. Do you think it’s more important to be kind, rather than right, in your dealings with not-yet-Christians?
10. Is your heart consistently broken and filled with compassion for the not-yet Christians in your life?
Trust you have at least one amazing conversation with a non-Christian this Christmas. Start asking the Lord for this opportunity. The Lord loves to answer this prayer.
Have a blessed week,