A Word From Steve Jones
July 15th, 2019
Hey Praying friends (also welcome to a few new people who have asked to join)
Here is our quick monthly prayer focus- THANKS FOR STANDING WITH US IN PRAYER! It's in prayer that we wrestle with the true spiritual realities that result in God's kingdom be realized in our world. Here. Now.
Praise: 1. Thankful for God's goodness and evident hand in the life of our oldest son, Solomon as he prepares to officially graduate High School, the first week of June. He has worked hard excelled academically and has grown in love with God spiritually.
2. We held our first of three pre-launches for a church plant that is starting out of PAXnorth. We had 35 people from the community come with many of them identifying as non-believers.
3. We continue to see God's hand and faithfulness to our church planting efforts in Atlantic Canada. The church has been able to end the fiscal year in the black with this being the first year Brad hasn't felt he needed to do labour work to supplement income.
Prayer: 1. Solomon is in the process of choosing a university to attend in the fall. We are in the process of figuring out how to finance this. Pray for wisdom and supply.
2. Church plant (Grace Village) has a couple of more pre-launch services and then will be launching in July. Pray for salvations and resource to get this church up and growing.
3. Pray for our church as we face a year of decision making even as we plant a second church. Our rental lease is up in one year and we need to have a new location to meet in that is more conducive to our growing needs and vision.
lead PAXnorth Church
Praise and prayer for April to May!
PRAISE: 1. For the encouragement we have received this past month as we visited and spoke at supporting churches and with friends.
2. Plans and preparations are coming together for a church plant (Grace Village Church)- to launch out of our church, PAXnorth, in June.
3. Our kids have been pushing to complete school this month- ending well.
PRAY: 1. Pray for spiritual protection and continued spiritual fruit for our family and church as we move into the spring season.
2. Pray for wisdom and clarity as we see new members joining PAXnorth in April.
3. Pray for continued supply to meet the demanding needs of ministry (leaders, finances, energy, patience, wise use of time, etc)
Your encouragement and support is a work of God's grace to us.
BRAD and SHELBY -Solomon, Delaney, Seth, Addison, Carmen, Elijah and Calum.
lead PAXnorth Church
Have been adding to this quick monthly update for prayer.
Just hoping to communicate a bit more with several of our partners and friends.
1. March 3 marks the our 25 wedding anniversary! God has been so good and faithful to us!
2. We are rejoicing at the fruit of salvation and baptism this past month. We had a former prostitute, addict, Hep-C survivor come to Christ, was baptized and is being discipled! What an amazing "first love" for Christ she has!
3. We are seeing a new influx of young skeptics and non-believers attending PAXnorth right now - at worship services and at our Sunday evening Grow-Op Classes.
1. Pray for a growing number of young men being discipled as they begin to realize what it looks like to be sold out to Christ; So they can can begin to live out the beauty of biblical headship to their young brides, their spiritual sisters and in serving their young church.
2. Pray for our NorthEnd Halifax community. That we can grow in favour and influence. That God will bless our feeble efforts by continuing to multiply through salvations especially those who are right from our 'hood.
3. Pray for protection on our family. We have had several very pointed and personal spiritual attacks on our family lately that we have been navigating through.
Thank you for you prayers and encouragements to us!
Brad, Shelby, Solomon, Delaney, Seth, Addison, Carmen, Elijah and Calum.
lead, PAXnorth Church
A QUICK PRAYER UPDATE
FROM PAX NORTH, HALIFAX!
1. Our family has had a busy, active and healthy couple of months. Thankful to God for His grace, provision and love for us through so many friends, prayer warriors, and encouragers!
2. A young mom and her boyfriend, recovering from crack addiction, being treated for Hep-C have both indicated that over the last four months of attending PAXnorth they have placed their faith in Christ. The testimony of how He is changing them and their five year old daughter is a testimony to the Gospel at work in our neighbourhood.
3. Two more classes of Gospel Journey 101 finishing up and we are launching our sixth discipleship group. Out of the 112 people average attending PAXnorth 65 of them are engaged in the discipleship process. Big praise as we continue to mature as a church.
1.Wisdom and direction as we complete our second Gospel Journey 202 class this month and add our first official members to our church!
2. For several people in our church who struggle with addiction, anxiety, depression and are working through various stages of trusting God in the middle of these.
3. Our family as we continue to navigate priorities in time management, financial management, guiding our older kids in wise decision making and parenting our younger kids.
VERY THANKFUL for You our prayer partners,
from: Brad, Shelby, Solomon, Delaney, Seth, Addison, Carmen, Elijah and Carmen
Hey Friends, Family and Prayer Partners:
I received an email from a new prayer partner and friend in the U.K. this week. He asked if I would send him regular updates for prayer and resource needs. In the middle of writing those I was convicted that we have so many people, churches and family who support us in prayer and resources that really might like a more frequent and succinct updates on what is happening with our family, the church and our other church plant efforts; I know many of you pick up what is needed via our facebook pages, private emails, or other means. But I am hoping a quick once a month email will help to keep the most important items in your prayers.
BTW- if you don't wish to receive a quick monthly prayer and praise I won't be offended just reply with a please take me off your contact list- I realize you probably get plenty of emails in the run of a month.
A few quick PAXnorth and Family prayer requests/praises:
- We continue to see growth in numbers each week. Praying that people will be challenged in the context of connecting in on Sunday and that our people will make active effort in relationships so that people will move into various places of discipleship quickly and not be able to sit on the peripherals for long.
- Prayer needed for wisdom of what to do next in relation to capacity for our worship space. We looked into renting a space directly across the street from our current space but it would mean $4000 a month more in rental (we already pay $2000monthly) which is way out of our league right now. Also for our leadership development capacities to continue to grow.
- This year it's our goal to have in place our first official elder; Our first official membership role and to plant our first official church out of PAXnorth. Need prayer to see these goals through and see them be a continued indication of growing as a healthy church.
- We had a great COMMUNITY DAY last Sunday! Over 350 people came out to enjoy good food, music, arts, kids events, and just connect. SO important in high risk communities to get people groups together so that there can be a greater sense of knowing each other and beginning to bridge the gaps of trust. Pray for many of those who attended who indicated they would like to check the church out.- PRAY FOR PEACE in our neighbourhoods.
- Prayer for a couple of very sinfully messy situations that we are journeying through with a few people in our church.
- Pray for our family and the church right now who is feeling the crunch of a very tight cash flow. As we continue to expand and need more practical resources it makes it hard to run sufficient programs and difficult on family resources as we learn to trust God in the sacrifices.
BIG PRAISE FOR GOD's FAITHFULNESS in multiplying our simple and often stumbling efforts!
lead PAXnorth Church
May 29 - Latest News
Prayer: Over the last month we have had four shootings and one severe beating (two fatal) right in the middle of the community where our church is- prayer for God's hand of redemption, exposing evil, and transforming our community is top on our list these days. Prayer for our summer plans as we have a summer of several fund raising trips planned (some with the family, some just Brad). Pray for continued growth and maturing as our church grows to 90 people consistently.
Praise: As we tie up year end financial items we have been extremely blessed to see that our internal giving has rose by 20%- meaning that internally we are now at a point where the church is giving almost 40% of our total income needed- it's a sign of spiritual maturity and ownership! PRAISE that of the 80 or so core people attending 21 of them are people who have come to faith in Christ over the last three years! Praise for a young Buddhist man who has been a part of PAXnorth for a year, last week- in front of his wife and baby daughter, in the middle of marriage counseling- bowed on his living room floor to ask Christ to come into his life!
Thanks for your care, support and encouragement! Brad, Shelby and the Stupendous Seven (Solomon, Delaney, Seth, Addison, Carmen, Elijah and Calum)
May 1 - Latest News
SO here is a quick snap shot of: Immediate family prayers; a couple of links for prayers and info; and a quick project follow up.
IMMEDIATE FAMILY PRAYERS: We have been hit with nasty flu and cold bugs in the family this last couple of weeks. Elijah (3yrs old) has been hit the hardest with the rotovirus. A nasty flu like virus that causes some violent vomitting and diaherea for about a week. Shelby had him at the IWK yesterday just to check and see if his hydration levels were o.k. and to get some general care advice. They figure it'll be several more days until the virus flushes itself out of his system but that he is not in danger just very miserably uncomfortable. Delaney (13yr old) had an x ray as well on her lungs to see if her nasty infuenza has moved into a potential pnemonia but the answer was no but keep a close eye over the next couple of weeks. The rest of the kids have all been fighting cold and flu symptoms to various degrees over the last week. Shelby and I have been healthy but feeling the strain of being worn out and ready for house no longer to be a hospital ward. - thanks for prayers on this.
A couple of links: The first one I am sure your church has probably seen on t.v. happened right around the corner. PAX has been at the vigils and I have had several conversations with business owners and people on the streets- keep praying that we as the Church can learn to journey with the community so we can have credibility when we need to walk with our neighbour when brokenness and sin wrecks us.
The second link below is a blog interview that gives basic info of past and present church and personal growth. You might want to pray for these needs.